Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Saving the Planet

I'm dropping toast crumbs into my computer keyboard. I bought a posh little bluetooth one to save my macbook from precisely this eventuality. It's such a skinny little thing it's probably full of crumbs after just these few weeks.

On this day when we find ourselves maybe just slightly less doomed than we might otherwise have been (yes, yes, my glib reaction to pretty great news re. the US election), we also have the Euro release of LittleBigPlanet. My old friend, with whom I was eating iffy pizza at my favourite dingy restaurant only last night, designed a good portion of the game and so far as I can see the whole thing is infused with his infectious laugh. So far as I can see, since I don't own a playstation... I lent my gamecube to someone a few years ago and they never gave it back. This had the helpful effect of freeing me from a pathological addiction to Tony Hawks Skateboarding, but I digress... (now I play the melodeon, and insist it's not much different from a videogame).

Look over at Rex's blog for more about the LittleBigPlanet release. I spotted the most pathos infused comment beneath one of the youtube level films. It read:
"I'm not creative enough to play this game."
Fortunately it looks like a lot of people in Japan and the US already are.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obama in the White House and I have tickets to see Eddie Izzard in Hall for Cornwall next tuesday, so reasons to be cheerful 1 and 2, even though I don't have work at the moment...
speak soon
xx gilla

Sarah said...

Hi, there! I just re-discovered your blog through Dave Shelton's; it's great to be back. :-)

Really curious about this melodeon. I'm going going keep an eye on your blog to see if you're ever playing it in the area, I must pop over to have a look!

Anonymous said...

I don't know you Joel, but I'm having trouble imagining you as a video games junkie.

Joel Stewart said...

I feel guilty for being glib about the only great thing in the news for months... (Obama, not the recall of Rex's videogame).

Thanks Sarah. I'm still just learning the melodeon, which is silly because I can play the five-row button accordion already... but I like the subtle difference in rythmn and weight... You can occasionally see me play the saw, banjo and even fiddle in London. I usually remember to blog about the gigs here before they happen (though not always).

Gus, what an odd comment. It just goes to show you don't, as you say, know me. I don't play them now but I'm not some kind of high-horse arty hippy about the things. Loads of games are amazing.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't suggesting you were an art snob Joel. I was merely saying that I couldn't imagine you playing video games. Obviously I guessed wrong.

Joel Stewart said...

Don't worry. I'm snippy today. Sore throat and a weekend spent with food poisoning...

Anonymous said...

No worries. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Sarah said...

Cool, I'll have to keep a better eye on your blog then!